Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Raising Cain

Okay, so the title of this post is not very original.  As readers can plainly see by glancing to either side, though, I am indeed supporting Herman Cain for the GOP presidential nomination.  I shared a table with Mr. Cain and one of his friends/campaign advisers when he was running for the Republican nomination for the U.S. Senate against Johnny Isakson back in 2004.  He was in town for a fundraiser at Outback Steakhouse and, after the function, graciously let me visit with him for a bit as he partook of the fare.  I still have the "Cain Crusader" pin I got at the time.

I may not agree with Herman on every issue, but then I will not agree with any candidate on every issue.  I do, however, agree with him on the ones that are important to me and think that someone from outside the Wasington establishment is needed to address the problems that seem to be endemic there.  I think that the more real folks meet and hear Cain, the stronger his candidacy will become.  Certainly, the amount of attention directed his way by media and pundit types has increased dramatically in recent weeks (not all of it positive, naturally).

Speaking of the "establishment," I remain skeptical about the GOP's national insiders.  While I think that Mitt Romney would be a vast improvement over the current occupant of the White House, I do not like the idea that Romney, as the establishment candidate whose turn has come, should be annointed just yet.  We tried that with Bob Dole and John McCain (both of whom for which I have great personal respect) and we see how that turned out.  I understand that establishment Republicans may be annoyed with the TEA partiers and their seemingly strident attitudes, but if the GOP had been doing what it should have for the past several years, such would not be an issue now.

Sphere: Related Content

No comments: