Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Clarke County GOP Christmas Party Wrap

Many of the local Republican faithful – and there may well be more of us that you think in the Classic City – braved the cold and gathered at the Country Inn & Suites last night for our annual Christmas Party.


Newly elected Georgia Secretary of State Brain Kemp pressed the flesh.  No surprise there; Brian is an all-around good guy who attends whatever local functions that his schedule allows.

Mayor-elect Nancy Denson made the rounds.  No surprise there, either; Denson reached out to us GOP types during her campaign (not to mention those increasingly few moderate, centrist Democrats who remain in Athens).  I chatted briefly with her.  For her part, she complemented my recent letter to the editor about the CCSD’s per pupil expenditures.  For my part, I told here that while we (and by that I meant both me individually and the local GOP generally) would agree on some issues and disagree on others, we Republicans would be happy just to have someone down at City Hall who listened to what we have to say, as that has not been the case for the past several years.

Finally, Doug McKillip of the 115th, the GOP’s newest member of the Georgia House of Representatives, was in attendance.  I had wondered if he would make an appearance, and sure enough he did.  For his part, it was a good political move if nothing else.  For my part, I welcomed him over to the Dark Side.  I wrote some pretty harsh things about McKillip’s sudden political conversion over on the Banner-Herald comment boards and still think that it is up to McKillip to prove me wrong, but we shall see.

Sphere: Related Content

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Just because somebody doesn't agree with you does not mean that they didn't listen.

I read all your arguments and rants and disagree with most of them. I'm still listening - just not persuaded.

There is a difference.