Monday, December 26, 2011

Remembering A Mother's Gift

Read the column here (25 December 2011).

My mother’s papers gave me starting points for my research, but left many gaps. My thanks go out to those individuals with whom I spoke or corresponded concerning her at Rabun Gap-Nacoochee School (since transformed into a prep school), Piedmont College, the University of Georgia, the Stephens County School District, the Franklin County School District, and the Teachers Retirement System of Georgia. Not much in the way of records survive from some six to seven decades ago and I thank them for taking the time to assist me in locating those that are still available.

As an aside, my mom taught me to shoot using a Winchester Model 1903 pump-action .22LR that had been handed down through her family. I sold it years ago; other than possessing some sentimental value, there was nothing particularly notable about it. Even so, sometimes I wish that I had it back.

Sphere: Related Content

No comments: